Sunday, January 16, 2011

...Where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain...

Am so excited! Just finished stitching the Oklahoma map embroidery I designed last year after we decided to make the move back to our home state. Started embroidering this map last year, put it down for a while and picked it back up recently. Am sure everyone knows how that it is... you start or move on to other WIP only to return to the project at hand and eventually things get done.
Anyhow, I have become besotted with embroidered maps. It started a couple of years ago, when I offered to embroidery a pre-printed South American map panel for my friend, Vicki, while she did the embroidery on the North American panel. These companion panels were rather large as you can see in the photo below (that's hubby holding up SA for me). 

Part way through this coop embroidery project and while on business, Vicki's partially embroidered panel was stolen from her hotel room. We were both heart broken. The motel and the local police didn't seem to think it was a big deal and in the grand scheme of things maybe not, but losing all that time and energy was really very upsetting. After a few months, another panel was located on eBay and I am pleased to say both maps are finished and framed.
Wishing you ... "Plen'y of heart and plen'y of hope...

15 comments:

Anja said...

You are so talented! That Oklahoma map is very sweet, lots of nice details. Have a great week!

Quiet Quilter said...

Such dedication! The time put into this! Love both.

Sandra said...

I've never seen something like this, and I'm in love with these maps! I really like the fact that you made a map of your way back to your home state, this will be in your family for ever!

Alicia said...

MUY BUENO EL MAPA....
VIVI EN MONTEVIDEO....ASI QUE ME PARECE PRECIOSO EL MAPA.
SALUDOS

l.wilks11 said...

For once i am actually lost for words. Is there no end to how VERY, VERY talented you are dls?

TIKA said...

Oh, what a great thing!
You are very talented! It's not easy to do such a map!

dls said...

Thank you everyone, for your kinds words. I love doing embroidery and the map was fun!

chiara said...

Hallo dls, thank you for your nice comment! what an awesome embroidery you made, it'd take years to me :-))
many hugs
chiara

Nicole said...

Your blog is so colorful!
Thank you for yours visits!
Buon week end,
Nicole

nicole said...

those maps are amazing!

The Illustrator's Wife said...

Wow...I am so impressed! Your embroidered maps are beautiful! I keep seeing these in all the magazines right now and wishing I had the extra money to buy some - now I'm thinking if only I could make my own, like you! Well done.

Karen L R said...

A friend of mine gifted me with a map of the US, with each state's wildflower. She found it at a garage sale!
These are such treasures!

inmykitchen said...

Hi there Dis - Thanks for the kind comment you left on my blog. I love your Oklahoma embroidery. I know very little about the state so it's lovely to see your interpretation in picture form.
Jo x

Dorothy said...

What incredible stitchery! The detail is wonderful. Thank you for sharing your photos with us.

MakeMyDay said...

Beautiful work!
Greetings from New Zealand
Christine